Friday, June 17, 2016

In Light Of...

"No news is good news."

~English proverb

I'm not one for the news. I'll openly admit that about 85% of my television viewing time is spent watching cartoons and crime dramas. I also consider myself a moderate in terms of political affiliation, which helps me to avoid heated debates both online and in person. Therefore, since I'm not well-versed in current events, I would not be surprised if this post draws some flack for my lack of knowledge. Here goes...

In the past week, the entertainment world lost an amazing talent, and the worst shooting in U.S. history occurred. For some reason, many people seem to think these events require much argument regarding the laws currently in place. "Let's ban [insert object we possess rights to here]. We would have fewer tragedies if the government were smarter and more responsible." Some seem to believe the government is at fault for these events, as if officials could have predicted Orlando. Others seem to think this is a matter of individuals and their state of mind. When something bad happens, the world almost immediately turns to the media to complain and place the blame on someone else in addition to the person directly responsible. What happened to simply coming together, despite our differences, and mourning the loss of the people who were taken too soon from the world? I'm not saying we don't do that, but I am saying we don't do that enough. I was fortunate enough to have been involved in a group during college which often encouraged students to understand the severity of such situations and find a way to bond with groups of other faiths and cultures. The fact most of our world cannot seem to cooperate unless disaster strikes is terrifying. Even then, a large number rush to phones and computers to express outrage and hatred. 

People can be so quick to judge a certain group because finding fault is a faster way to find closure and be put at ease. Are we 100% certain these attacks would not have happened if the government banned firearms? Personally, I believe if someone is motivated enough and fully committed to an idea, he/she/etc. will do anything to prove a point, even if that point involves committing a crime. Laws can keep being added or changed, but lawbreakers will always exist. As much as it pains me to say it, laws were meant to be broken. Not to imply we should all go out and rob a bank, but the temptation to violate laws will continue to linger for some people. We cannot totally prepare for events we cannot predict. 

I do not want my kids growing up in a world where we respond to an act of violence with more violence. I want my children to live in a world where we celebrate differences across nations. Obviously, violence will never cease, but the way people act in light of violence could evolve to a more dignified type of response. If people share their opinions with the public without all of the necessary information, it's easy to educate them in an aggressive and arrogant manner, but there is a way to assist people and avoid being rude. From the comments I've read, people have suggested Orlando was a terror attack, not a mass shooting. Why not both? Is the type of gun entirely relevant? I don't know. Most firearms are lethal. Was this an attack specifically to send a message to the LGBTQ community? Everyone has an opinion on these questions. We need to learn to educate ourselves and others while also being sensitive to differences. We cannot change race, religion, or sexuality. We were not born to be the same as every other person. 

Some groups have tried forcing their beliefs and practices on others, as if we need more conformity. I have a fairly diverse group of friends, and I am proud of the relationships I have made. I only share my culture and religion if someone is genuinely curious. Unfortunately, some people like to judge others in order to seem superior. We all must realize the beauty in diversity. Some do not realize that many of our practices today were inspired by outside cultures. Maybe when we learn to appreciate various lifestyles, we can come to at least tolerate a world filled with new and contrasting ideas. There are countless gifts on Earth that are worth acknowledging and celebrating. Let's not tear each other down in times of grief. Let's encourage each other during times of joy, sorrow, anger, and fear and learn to trust.

"Even darkness must pass.
A new day will come.
And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer...
There’s some good in this world,...And it’s worth fighting for."

~J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment